Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Army Considers Options in Replacing the M4

This is "old news," but I don't think very many folks know about it. Read the article HERE.

If you don't do anything else, just look at the multi-media comparing the potential replacement weapons. Notice how many of them are piston operated (or modified impingement). Notice also that Colt has essentially done nothing (that I can see) to upgrade the M4, other than adding folding battle sights and a few other little doodads.

I also found it interesting that several of the carbines are offered in non-5.56 calibers: 6.5 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39.

I'll be curious to see what comes of this. SOCOM has already adopted the FN SCAR, and SOFD-D (Delta) has claimed the HK 416/17 system - both of which are piston operated systems.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Which would be your choice and why?

Mike said...

Do you happen to know if SOCOM carries the Light or Heavy SCAR?

Johnson said...

Stephen:

When the ACR was originally designed by Magpul, it was engineered to swap a few parts and fire the 7.62x39 - from standard AK mags, which makes it rather unique. I like this feature a lot. However, now that Bushmaster/Remington have gotten their hands on it, I do not know if this will still take place. If the ACR is released in a 7.62 version, that's the gun I would pick.

If not, the choice becomes a bit more fuzzy. Two main points I would look for: 1) piston operated, 2) something besides .223. You can see that several of the "candidates" fill those requirements . . . I'd have to do some research.

Hope that answers your question!

Mike:

My understanding is that SOCOM is replacing their M4s, M16s, etc, with SCAR Lights, and the M14s, AR-type Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles (SASSs) with the Heavy. If that is correct, they will be using both.

And BTW, when I say "adopted," I don't mean they've instantly replaced everything. FN was given the contract several years ago, but production is just now getting up and running, as I understand.