Wednesday, July 15, 2009

No guns = A rude, crude society

"The society of the late 20th century America is perhaps the first in human history where most grown men do not routinely bear arms on their persons, and boys are not regularly raised from childhood to learn skill in the use of some kind of weapon, either for community or personal defense. Ours also happens to be one of the rudest and crudest societies in history, having jubilantly swept most of the etiquette of speech, table, dress, hospitality, regard for fairness, deference to authority, and the relations of male and female and child and elder under the fraying and filthy carpet of politically convenient illusions. With little fear of physical reprisal, Americans can be as loud, gross, disrespectful, pushy, and negligent as they please. If more people carried rapiers at their belts or revolvers on their hips it is a fair bet that you would be able to go to a movie and enjoy the dialogue from the screen without having to endure the small talk, family gossip, and assorted bodily noises that many theater audiences these days regularly emit."

Samuel Francis, in "Chronicles"

Here's my post-response to Stephen Boyd's most recent post, over at Defending our Christian Heritage.

7 comments:

Chris Travers said...

That is soooooo right!

Anonymous said...

It's a sad reminder of my past...I wasn't ever taught any formal means of self-defense (my father believed I was too brutal for such things as karate). Nevertheless, I intend to jump on an opportunity when possible.

Johnson said...

Thanks for the comments, fellows!

Nice to "meet you," crazylotrfan. Glad you like the quote.

Fredric: just growing up in the South didn't guarantee me any special self-defense curriculum. It's only in the past few years my family and I have become interested in that sort of thing. I've got a couple of books you can borrow this fall when classes start back - they won't be "formal training," but they should help : ).

Stephen said...

Very interesting!
While growing up in the South doesn't guarantee proficiency in self defense, most of the times we have positive peer pressure in that direction (i.e.- it's "cool" to own a gun)

Well, let us purpose that from henceforth, being a member of the Boyd or the Hardy family guarantees that you can hold your own in a self defense situation.

Johnson said...

Indeed! Thanks for the encouragement and challenge, Stephen!

Anonymous said...

I understand growing up anywhere doesn't guarantee it...nevertheless, I'm just glad I can usually talk down someone before they try something.
Still, may I join this group if possible?

Johnson said...

If by "join this group" you're referring to what Stephen said:

"let us purpose that from henceforth, being a member of the Boyd or the Hardy family guarantees that you can hold your own in a self defense situation,"

then of course you may.

If you're referring to some other sort of group, you'll have to enlighten me ; ).